Last week, Whitney Sibol wrote an exceptional article on the five characteristics that help make a remarkable employee. Not surprisingly, all of them had to do with the individual’s mindset. Not their resume, their skills, or their experiences. These things are absolutely important, of course, but they don’t make a remarkable employee. The tips we provided are great at helping you or someone you know transform into a remarkable employee, but they don’t necessarily help someone in a hiring position find a candidate who will be a truly remarkable employee for them. Which is why we’ve put together a list of the best interview questions on how to uncover your next remarkable employee.
Interview Questions for Fearless:
- Would you rather ask for permission or forgiveness at work and why?
- Tell me about a time you stepped out of your comfort zone and succeeded, or failed? What were your motivators?
- Who inspires you? Why?
- What’s the most difficult thing you have ever done? Why did you do it?
Interview Questions for Solution - Oriented:
- Tell me about a challenge or conflict you have faced at work and how you dealt with it?
- When goals or priorities change, how would you help your team understand and execute on these new goals?
- Can you teach me about something I don’t know about?
- How do you overcome conflict with others?
Interview Questions for Resilient Focus:
- Please provide an example of an assignment you didn’t really want to do and how you motivated yourself to get it completed?
- Tell me something you do not like about yourself that you have changed within the last year. Why didn’t you like this?
- Tell me about a time that you have failed, and how you dealt with that failure?
- What does failure mean to you?
Interview Questions for Learners:
- How do you make sure you stay on top of industry trends?
- What techniques have you learned to make your job easier or make you more efficient?
- Tell me about a time that you had to learn something complex in a short period of time?
- What skills or expertise do you feel like you’re still missing?
Interview Questions for Humble:
- Would you rather be feared or respected and why?
- Tell me about a time someone took credit for your work or idea and what you did?
- What are the top 5 things your teammates would say about you? Which of them do you agree with? If you had to pic 3 more, what would they be?
- Who would you most attribute your success to?
These are the 20 specific interview questions we believe will help you uncover your next remarkable employee. Test them out, and discover someone who has the mindset and the willpower to be truly great, for themselves, and for you.